Thursday, July 21, 2005

Sleven


It’s the 40th anniversary of the Slurpee. Kinda hard to believe. I’m 35 and the Slurpee, to me as a kid, seemed as natural and American as baseball and apple pie. To think that it was invented only 5 years before I was born is hard to imagine. I’m sure the Icee well precedes the Slurpee but personally I don’t find them in the same camp, the Icee is simply a melting snow cone….. The Slurpee is a food substance all its own.

My first memories of the frosty beverage were when I was just old enough to bike to my local 7-11. My friends and I would bike there, pick up a Slurpee and hang out and play Centipede or Mrs. Pacman.

Years later, in my teen age years we would stop by the 7-11 after going to see punk rock shows. Dripping with sweat from a slippery night in the pit, I’d stop by for Blue Raspberry Slurpee that many times would come with some goofy toy. We’d take em to a park and hang out until the cops came around and told us to get lost.

Ever since, my taste for the syrupy sweet frozen treat has lessened. Regardless, I've always marked the first seriously hot day of summer with a medium size. Possibly a little late, that’s what I did last weekend. A blue raspberry with a splash of mango.

In celebration, with every large slurpee a free itunes purchase is offered.

The Slurpee website has some interesting history and whatnot. Check out the gear section, they actually have some cool T-Shirts for cheap!

If you have a kid, and can’t make it to Galco, take em down to 7-11 and buy em a cold one. Then lock them in a padded room and let the sugar frenzy subside. If you really want to mess with their metabolism, buy em one of those fried pepperoni cheese things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home