Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Is That Poodle Poop on the Street?



Most things that I'll review or write about here will cater to a lifestyle and economic class that is low key and not too harsh on the wallet. But every once in a while I also like to mix it up and give the west-end boutiques a once over to see how the other half lives and maybe, just maybe score a deal or treat myself to something. Last weekend was one of these times, and surprisingly I found a few things that were worth the trip and expense.

My girlfriend lives just blocks away from Robertson Blvd. We decided to focus on a strip between Beverly and 3rd St. I had been interested in checking out this Swedish clothing company called We (or We are the Superlative Conspiracy) that has a "concept store" on Robertson. Jenny doesn't take much persuading to go window-shopping, so off we went.

By the time we found parking, we were actually pretty starving. Jenny suggested the Newsroom; a cafe that I had always heard about but in my 10 years of living in the city had never actually gone to. I actually had a craving for a burger or something sloppy like that, but what the hell. So we walked up and got a table without a hitch. The place is within spitting distance of the Ivy (actually, just out of distance.... I tried) but is much more comfortable and accommodating for a middle class boy like myself. So we perused the menu. I had a hankering for breakfast food and Jenny decided to juxtapose that with a salad so we didn't feel like total gluttons. Ya see, when Jenny and I eat together we ALWAYS split our dishes. It’s actually kinda cool, cause its like eating two meals in one, but the drawback is that we both have to order something that is palatable to both of us. So a goat cheese and apple omelet was ordered as well as a tandori chicken salad. As if that wasn't snooty enough, we ordered a peach, cucumber, and basil smoothie to share as well. Low and behold, everything was delish.... and not all that expensive. The omelet was served with super yummy grilled sausage and if you think having apple in your omelet is funky, it is, but in a really delicious way. The salad had plenty of Indian spiced chicken, which was tossed with a mango dressing, and curried cashews scattered in. The smoothie also might sound funky, but it was incredibly refreshing, and I kind of like the idea of using basil in different ways. I really don't have a bad thing to say about the whole experience.

So after receiving essential nourishment, off to the shops. Jenny checked out a few shoe stores that even with their summer "sales" remained well out of our price range. Although we spotted these pseudo clog shoes that were so cool I wouldn't have blamed Jenny for getting em (Jenny's income is a bit better then mine, so she can stand to splurge a bit more then me).

Soon, I arrived to the one store I had been meaning to check out. We. I walk into the shop and find it much more casual then I expected. Brightly colored basics (t-shirt, sweatshirts, hoodies...) with slightly out of date WE or SUPERLATIVE CONSPIRACY logos in complimentary colors. I'd say 70percent of the products were on sale for between 30-50% off. Deeper inside the store were some button down shirts in bright plaids and stripes. As well, I found the short sleeve sweatshirt I had seen on their site, and which I had high hopes for. Although the cut and general concept was good...it fell short of the holy grail of shirts that I've been searching high and low for. I left without a purchase, but would encourage people to check it out.... the prices are moderate for Robertson, and some products are actually a bargain at their sale price.

Walking back to the car we stopped into two other shops. First the Kiehls "apothecary" shop. Now I will admit to being a bit of a Metrosexual to the point that I will, from time to time, purchase something like a hair product or soap type thing from such a shop. We walk in, and I check out the men’s section. Men’s sections in these places are pretty limited. Shaving creams, and moisturizer type stuff. I was reluctantly encouraged by the little lady to ask for some face soap/cleanser type stuff and something for the "tougher" areas of my skin. I'm rather wary of all that stuff, but after purchasing and trying it out... I have to say it kinda works. The soap/cleanser stuff seems to clean without drying or making your skin feel like its just been stretched like a canvas and the moisturizer stuff took my woody nubs I call elbows and actually softened em up a bit, and well...O.K. fine I'm a big wuss! Well, I’m a wuss with supple skin, and the chicks dig it. Kiehls is expensive, but with conservative use it'll last for a while. A tube of stuff costs between 10 and 25bucks I guess, probably double what you would pay for something at the grocery store, but from what I can tell, there really is a distinguishable difference.

Next, we checked out the Camper store. They still have some of their spring/summer line on sale...but I had just picked up some kicks so I wasn't in the market.

All in all, not a bad day on snotty street.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home