Saturday, July 16, 2005

Junction Jr.


A few years ago, in the dawn of my second attempt at self-employment, and my first itch to own a shop of my own, I walked an eastern strip of Sunset Blvd. between The Sunset Junction (featured last weekend) and Echo Park. There was a space for rent there for a moderate price. The previous tenant had built a lofted bed in the back, which gave me thoughts of illegally living in the back and having a studio/retail space in the front. But who was I kidding, I was flat broke at the time. Plus many people said, “well, its kinda in no mans land, not quite in The Junction, and not in Echo Park…will people really come?"

Well, today, I stopped into one of my favorite summer lunch spaces; The Seven Seas (or Siete Mares). A mexican seafood stand and restaurant on the corner of Sunset and Descanso, only a block away from the space I had looked at a few years ago. I gazed across the street taking in the plethora of retail spaces that have popped into the space in the last year. All the people, who have actually taken the chance. This area is certainly turning into The Junction Jr.

Dusty’s is a new food venue smack dab across the street from 7 Seas. I guess you could call it Continental Fair. I have yet to actually eat in the restaurant but my work orders lunch from there all the time. As soon as I get a chance to have a proper meal there I’ll get back to you and tell you the scoop.

The one shop that stood out for me was a place called Sumi’s. Sumi’s features hand made designer jewlry and purses/bags made by the owners mother. These bags are what really stand out. They are all constructed from a variety of interesting fabrics and materials. Once more, I think, they are rather well priced. A small purse is around $40 and larger bags and even messenger bags ( with really beautiful screen printed designs) range around $70-80. These are very well crafted according to my novice eye and I’m definitely bringing my girlfriend in to check them out soon. Sumi's is located at 3204 Sunset Blvd.

There are a few other stores on the block, including one store that sort of caters to the more Rockabilly/Fetish crowd. I’ll have to drop by again and get the name. Regardless, if you are into that type of thing, it’s a pretty cool store. Jars of preserved eels, books of photography by Richard Kern and vixen clothing in black and red. The type of place that you might fantasize having a girlfriend with an interest in, but without the baggage that all too often goes into fetishism.

So go get yourself a shrimp coctail and check out the latest retail strip of sunset. I’m seeing good things....God Damnit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home