Monday, July 11, 2005

Yo Pop!


One of my favorite places that I’ve finally gotten around to frequenting is the Galco Soda Pop Stop, located at 5702 York Boulevard, in the eagle rock/hancock park area. Evidently, the Galco market has been in the area for generations and has been in the same family since it opened. The current owner has a love for classic and traditionally made sodas. The array of pops is like a step back to both my fathers and my own childhood. I love the idea of parents sharing remembrances of their childhood with their kids and this is the perfect place for it. Nehi, Faygo, Frosty and so many more. When I was a kid, Nehi Cherry Smash and Orange sodas were my favorite. Now I go for traditional Ginger Beers and tart Lemon Lime( try the Schweppes Bitter Lemon, this the only place in California I’ve seen it sold). In addition, for the true nostalgia, Galco supplies vintage seltzer bottles that you may rent for a traditional pure seltzer. Purchase with some chocolate syrup and create a legit Egg Cream. For those without an existing sweet tooth I recently discovered their selection of Belgian Artisinal Beers. This place rules and the owner has a genuine love for what he does. He and what I think are his daughters are incredibly friendly and helpful. If you have a kid, take a trip to this place and reward them with a sugary treat. If you don't have a child, stop by with a friend and relive your childhood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home