Monday, July 18, 2005

Don's Hot Stax


Friday night I was hanging out with my buddy who now lives in Glassel Park…Echo Park adjacent. So he said he had just stopped by a new record store in the neighborhood. Even slapped a gift certificate for the place on me. Thanks John.

So Saturday, after my parusing of The Junction Jr., I ran over to check out the store. It's a tiny place just south of the beginning of hipster row on Eagle Rock Blvd.

The store is tiny but packed with stuff. Cd’s covering the walls and vinyl packing the rest of the place. This is a classic record store, the likes I haven’t seen much of in Los Angeles. Rockaway has no taste when it comes to new music, Sea Level doesn't carry anything outside of the Indie Cannon, and the rest of the east side record shops are just lacking in too many ways to discuss. Don's seems well-rounded and packed with heart.

Just as I was thinking that this place reminded me of a store I might stumble upon in NYC or even Chicago, I struck up a conversation with the owner and found out he just moved out from Brooklyn. Don's looking for a fresh start and I hope LA doesn't let him down like it has for many.

I picked up a CD of 70's afro-funk from Ghana and a Dub record of Serge Gainsbourg songs. Now thats some shit I'm not finding on itunes.

Check out Don's at 4873 Eagle Rock Blvd. or call and bug him for directions at 323-255-3551.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home