Monday, August 01, 2005

Irregular Wining

So friday night I attended my 4th of several drunken cultural events held by one Julien Davies at the Echo in… Echo Park. He now calls it the Irregular Wine Tasting, previously titled Extreme Wine Tasting.

The event typically includes a tasting of 6 different wines from a select winery of Juliens choice. Paired with the wine is a theme that is always as much of a non-sequiter as anything uttered by the man himself. The event is half booze, and half Julien belting out surreal bombast about whatever comes into his head. Much of it is amusing….some just perplexing. Regardless, between the banter the audience is encouraged to drink as much of the selected wine as is available. A DJ compliments it all with tunes hand selected for the occasion. As well, bread and cheese is served.

So yeah, its as close to punk rock wine tasting as one can get. And a lot of fun too. Corks are inevitably thrown at heckling drunks, communal seating makes for interesting conversation.

The event is held, I believe, monthly if not bi-monthly. The crowd, according to Julien, ranges in size. Reservations are suggested, but you can usually squeeze in the night of and entry will cost you 20bucks.

Julien is also the wine buyer for the Silver Lake Cheese Shop and holds informal wine tastings there on the weekends.

After the event, my friends and I staggered over to the Bright Spot Diner less then a block away. Despite my efforts in being as much a SL hipster as possible I had actually never been to the Bright Spot. I was pleasantly surprised. The place has an old wood interior with the ubiquitous red vinyl booths. The food was pretty damn good for Diner fair. Jenny and I split a plate of chili fries that were flavorful but not greasy at all. Kelly got a plate of Huevos Rancheros that looked damn good, and must’ve been cause she didn’t offer me any.

All in all a solid evening in Echo Park.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home