Sunday, April 30, 2006

Crazy Watch Requiem

One of the several eclectic characters I have been meaning to highlight in Crazy Watch has passed away.

El Circo Loco was a character I had only recently become aware of. Circo strutted his stuff along the section of Sunset Blvd that Bridged the Silver Lake area with the Sunset Junction strip. One day sitting at 7Seas munching on a fish taco I noticed a flamboyant pirate-like character across the street with a drum strapped to his chest and swinging a large ribbon while holding a silent boom box. I watched him dance his way down the street in amazement.

I told this story to the woman who cuts my hair, and she gave me the low down on El Circo Loco. He lived out of his car, and stashed an array of costumes in an alley way near Millies diner. For how long he's been doing this I'm not sure.

So on friday I recieved an e-mail stating that he had passed away and that a public ceremony would take place on Sunday. Jenny and I drove by the small park near the junction this sunday and saw a good collection of neighborhood people collecting to pay homage to Circo. Unfortunately I was unable to snap any pictures, but I found a Flickr site with some.

Good bye Circo Loco, we hardly knew ye.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I thought it curious that you got an email about him... did he email you from the great beyond?

3:19 AM  
Blogger lakeside said...

i'm on an "underground" east side mailing list that sent out a notice about it. its amazing, if you do a google search for his name, you'll find many blog posts, the guy was certainly an institution.

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home