Saturday, March 11, 2006

Apartment 3G

Several years ago, I was browsing the comics section of the newspaper. Instead of just simply reading Doonesbury and The Far Side (yeah, I think it was that long ago) and ignoring the rest of the filler that I never paid attention to, I started focusing on the old school "Mellow-Drama" comics. Apartment 3G, Rex Morgan MD, and the like. I kinda found them amusing. In the same way that one could watch a Soap Opera maybe once every month or so, because the plot just moved at a hobbled pace, so did these three panel comics. And to make life move that slowly in a comic, some drastic measures took place. Measures that many times warped into surreal vignets. I started to look at each panel on their own...looking for unintended stories or moods in each panel. I found once in a while this would yield some truely bizarre events. The image posted here is one such panel. I mean, just imagine how this panel could have had anything to do with a year long story arc. It couldn't have, and since I only saved this panel...I have no idea if it did. Regardless, It prevoked me to want to make this a persuit of mine. Persuit of the hidden art in the Soap Opera comic. Well, as is the case with most of my brilliant ideas, I would forget about it for a while (not recieving the paper on a daily basis didn't help much either) and then occasionally return to the idea. I know I have a few more of these in my piles of papers...so as I find them I'll try and post them.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

go to the Hammer & Moca while you can to see the "Masters of Comics" series. It's tons of fun.

11:49 AM  
Blogger lakeside said...

made it to the one at MOCA, rather overwhelming.
i could spend a week in that exhibit.

I think the Hammer one closes this weekend, so i will have missed that one.

The Hammer rules. Great shows, great events.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just the opposite: made it to the Hammer for last nite's free late admission and (open bar) but am not sure I'll get to MOCA. Which is too bad; Dick Tracy was fun but I'm more interested in Chris Ware, Spigelman, and R Crumb.

Saw Walking Man today... in a parka!

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home