Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Maybe Its Something In The Rice.

I'm drawn to many things Japanese. Music, cinema, manga, food, toys, fashion...Not all of it mind you. Mostly things of a humorous almost surreal nature. I've spent time trying to define it, but I really can't in words.

Regardless, working near Little Tokyo allows me to discover little trinkets and things that secure the idea that some day I'll visit Japan and although I may not speak the language I'll understand it.

Mitsuwa Market Place is a Japanese mall off of Alameda that I've been shopping at for years. The office that I work in always has a steady supply of Pocky or Gummy Candies from here, and their pre-packaged sushi or the soup at their mini cafe is a good cheap way too spend lunch. Wash it all down with a can of green tea or milk coffee and its all good.

While shuffling through the always fun candy section, I took a stab in the dark and bought a package with a rather silly image on the front. The package is based on a comic series called Taitsukun. It entails two costumed fellows. Their sexuality seems rather ambiguous. They seem to find themselves in rather banal social and business situations, and sometimes awkward intimate situations. Its all in Japanese and my fellow Japanese work-mates have been able to give me only a small bit of information.

The style sort of reminds me of Red Red Meat, and even a little of Madman. Regardless, its priceless and I'm hooked. I feel the need to find out as much as possible about this novelty.

I'll try to start posting any products that I aquire from this silly series. As well, I'm trying to track down a candy that comes with some pretty rediculous little photos of cats in silly outfits. You know, cause how else would you market citrus candy?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home