Friday, March 03, 2006

In The Slaw

"In the Slaw" will be Stinks Good's periodic update on what's in the mix on my turntable or computer/ipod:

Damian Jr. Gong Marley's Welcome to Jamrock is a great contemporary Reggae album. And I don't like much contemporary Reggea, I'm more of a Dub and Rocksteady man with some roots in for good measure. Dance Hall and Hip Hop Reggae don't do much for me usually. But this record is infectious. The title track (which entered the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart at Number 7, the biggest opening week ever for a reggae artist) is a great single that I can listen to over and over and hope i don't grow tired of before the sun really comes out for good. The track Move has a slamming base beat that demands to be blasted in your car as well as an effective sample of Damian's father. The rest of the album provides ample padding for these two stand out tracks. Cameo's by Nas, Bobby Brown, Buju Banton, Bounty Killer, and The Roots. A few of the tunes are ballads with some potentially cheezy lyrics, but sincerely I think I'd rather listen to this album then Kanye West if I want to feel like I'm down with the kids these days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home