Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Wake Up Juice

Although I've been drinking alot of Tea during my recent flu....I always come back to coffee to pep me up during the day. But i'm not a hardcore coffee drinker. I drink it slowly....alotta times not even finishing my whole cup. Some coffee I really hate, some of it just hits a perfect chord with me.

There are two establishments in my neighborhood that make a mean cup of joe. Both of these actually make what they call a Cafe Con Leche (simply coffee with milk for the clueless). These aren't Latte's, I hate latte's. Typically, I only put enough milk in my coffee to create a slightly opaque fluid...not much. But these cups....when i want something a little more rich, are necter of the gods.

Everyone who knows me, knows my love for Cafe Tropical. Along with Siete Mares, Cafe Tropical is one of my favorite local joints. Only one thing can properly accompany one of their slices of Guava Cheese Pie, or one their Chicken Pastilla's and that,s a medium cup of their Cafe Con Leche. I've been drinking em for years. In fact, to tell you the truth...I'm a bit burnt out on them. It's no fault of the java I assure you, just overkill on my end. So, when my friend Byron assured me that their Mocha's were of equal perfection...my ears and taste buds perked up. As he mentioned, this particular Mocha is made with a Mexican chocolate that makes for an enchanting elixer. Not an everyday beverage, but for a special treat this cup rocks. The chunks of chocolate is mixed with the steaming espresso in a blender then added to the steaming milk making for a rich and slightly bitter blend.

TiGeorge's is a Haitian cafe that I've reviewed previously and focuses on chicken. On the menu though, a coffee steeped with bay leaves is listed. This perked my interest, but the last time I went there for lunch, we were so damn late after having lunch i didn't have time to get a cup. Today, a workmate hoofed it over for lunch while I worked through. Two hours later he arrived back at work with a cup of TiGeorge's Cafe Con Leche. With the first sip, the Bay Leaf presented itself in an interesting way. I really can't describe it...kinda added a level of complexity to the coffee that I had never experienced. It's definitely an acquired taste, but I liked it. I couldn't finish the whole cup though, I'm not sure if "rich" is the word...but its definitely a sipping coffee unless you get really into it. The beans are a special organic variety that the owner takes great pride in. If you have the time, stop by and let him brew up a cup for you. If you're in a rush though, go to 7-11.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home