Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Doggie Style?

More like doggie abuse. Those are harsh words, but I really don't know how else to describe it. What the hell am I talking about?

Well, I believe I've mentioned the store down the street from me called LA Doggie Style. A few months ago a Chimp graced their doors for a Japanese TV program and threw me for a loop. The owners are a typically nice female couple that live just a few doors down from me.

Anyway, last saturday I figured I'd pamper my dog and get her groomed at Doggie Style. Actually, when I stopped by the store early on saturday morning I only expected to try and see what their rates were. But the groomer was there and offered to do the service right then and there...all convenient. I walked back home to get my wallet while the groomer did his thing. He called me saying Lu was all ready and that they only take cash. So I picked up Lu and paid the guy....in all the excitement not getting a receipt. Lu was peppy enough, and oddly kept shaking her head from time to time, but I thought nothing of it. Later in the day, she was still shaking her head and pawing at her ears. I finally got the hint and checked her ears. Inside was a lightly bloody but heavily gooey mess. It looked like something had irritated her ears, like they had been rubbed or scratched up. I was horrified. She's never had any issue with her ears before.

There was no doubt that the irritation was the result of some part of the grooming. I became more and more angry with the thought. I take my dog in for some royal treatment and instead she returns injured. What the fuck? The next day i stopped by and while the groomer was not in, I asked to speak to the owner (who i mentioned is my neighbor). She had me wait about 15 minutes and finally came out. She assured me that the irritation probably came from the groomer plucking some hairs and that it wasn't totally uncommon for her ears to be a bit irritated. She cleaned them out with a cotton ball, which Lu did not like at all. She said Lu would be fine.

Bullshit. Lu's ears are still fucked up. I deflect her paws as she tries to scratch her ears and crusty nasty stuff abounds in them. I'm taking her into the vet tomorrow. Once more, NO ONE that i've talked to who has their dog groomed has ever heard of such a thing.

I've gone through many struggles with Lu's health as of late, and the last thing i need is for my friendly local dog groomer to make her life more miserable. This is unforgivable. I don't know how these "animal lovers" can A. treat my dog so poorly and B. Not take responsibility for their actions.

It's 2:30 a.m. and I was woken up by the sound of lu shaking her head again. I can't sleep because the whole thing makes me sick. Thanks Doggie Style(LA) for fucking me in the ass.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, poor Lu! I'm so sorry that you're both going through this - totally disturbing that this would happen down the street from you. You should report them to the better business bureau. A few years ago our vet almost killed Simon with a distemper vaccine. The year prior he had gotten really sick from it, and when I brought him in the next year they gave it to him again. It took $700 in treatment to nurse him back to health.

8:46 AM  
Blogger lakeside said...

that's horrible. no one is perfect, and mistakes are made...but stuff like that is just inexcusable feline, canine, or human. thanks for the sympathy eve.

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so weird - this afternoon i happened to drive by a doggy style in wicker park. I guess it's a chain? it's probably owned by McDonald's.

5:41 PM  
Blogger lakeside said...

no, i think its just a lack of originality. the one down my street had to change their name to LA Doggie Style because there was already at least one other place by that name out there...

5:55 PM  
Blogger lakeside said...

by the way kids, took her to the vet this morning, which was an ordeal in and of itself. the place was a mad house and Lu is absolutely terrified to be there now. So the Vet gave me some ointment to put on the nasty areas and said she should be ok. He had no idea what the groomer was doing and basically said, never let a groomer mess with your dogs ears. He also found some wax in there, so even with all the scraping and whatnot the dude couldn't even clean out the damn ears. So lets see here, 45bucks for the actual abuse, and 98bucks for the vet visit and ointment. $143 bucks down the drain. awesome.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am so sorry. I'm just tuning in to your blog again after some time away from Blog Land. Hope Lu feels better soon. You were smart not to listen to the doggie style owner and to take your Lu in to the vet. Dang.

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home