Saturday, August 05, 2006

Marry-Anne or Ginger

I'm on a total Ginger kick these days. And despite the title, I'm not talking about the red-haired bombshell from Gilligan's Island (I'll always be a Mary-Anne guy, the pig-tails drive me wild). I mean, the root...more specifically the flavor of the root. The root itself is butt ugly.

Ginger Beer, Ginger Chews, Ginger Preserves, even Ginger Mojito's. It's all about the Ginger this summer.

Here's the run-down of Ginger Products I endorse.

I picked up a tin of Chimes Ginger chews while i was in Chicago. Cool retro tin, and the chews were good and spicey but virtually impossible to get out of the wrapper intact. The Ginger People make virtually the same product (without the cool tin) wrapped in wax-paper which makes it much easier to eat.

The Ginger People also make a fantastic Ginger Spread. Smear this stuff on a good piece of french bread with some Goat Cheese or butter and you've got yourself a fantastic light breakfast or snack.

For Ginger Beer, Blenheims and Jamaica's Finest make the spiciest. So spicey the fumes will make you choke if you don't watch out. I suggest drinking it out of the bottle instead of pouring it into a glass. Bundaberg makes a much more mild version, tasty with a splash of scotch or whisky.

While in Chicago, Jen and I went to Topolobampo. A high end mexican joint with fantastic Ginger Mojito's. I have yet to try and make them at home but will give you a heads up when I do.

I also love fresh Ginger Lemon Pear juice that many health food stores sell. I've seen it at Fresh Fields on the east coast and Erewhon here in LA.

That's all I have to say about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home