Monday, May 01, 2006

Nairobi Bound

My friends Kelly and John embark today on a month long vacation that takes them from Kenya to Spain to New York. I want to wish them a safe and enjoyable trek.

They will first visit their friend who works in Kenya. I'm sure they'll go on Safari and whatnot. But one part of their trip that I feel personally invested in, is their stop at a small Orphanage outside of Nairobi. Their friend Talon has befrended the Nun who personally manages this facility. Last week, Kelly and John asked me if my work would like to donate some clothes to the children there. They could personally hand this over to the kids (unlike some larger organizations who's intentions may be good but you never really know where your stuff is going). Well, I talked to someone at our company and unfortunately the timing was a little to quick to get anything through corporate channels. So instead, I took up a collection among the Graphics and Web department and in the matter of a few hours collected enough to buy over a hundred dollars of stuff at our Close-out store. At 4 or 5 bucks a T, we managed to get over 2 dozen pieces of clothing. I feel really good about this, and hope all my work mates do as well. Kelly and John promised to take pictures so that we can directly see who we've given our gifts to. As well, she mentioned doing periodic fund-raising for this facility which I'm totally into. I hope it all goes well and I'll keep you updated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home