Sunday, October 09, 2005

Fine Foods Not Great Foods

While I was out of town, Flor Morena Fine Foods finally opened in the renovated space where the Auto Bar used to be.

I dropped by on Saturday to check the place out. It was lunchtime, and although the specialties of this place seem to be American and Mexican comfort food, I was trying to eat light. So I ordered a turkey breast sandwich. The best thing I can say about it was it was a real sandwich, not some cibatta aoli laden fru fru thing, but a sandwich on rye bread with yellow mustard, which is kinda refreshing in LA where everything has to have a shtick. With that said, it was just a sandwich. And for 7bucks and some change, a bit disappointing. Even the pickle served with it seemed wimpy. But like I said, sandwiches aren't what this plays seems to focus on. The menu highlights stick to your ribs dishes like chicken fried steak, ribs, tamales, enchiladas, as well as a few salads. So I figured I'd give it another chance before really making a decision.

Sunday, Jenny and Dini decided to go to Flor Morena for lunch. I sat this one out so that I could pass out for a nap, but their mentioning of hankering for some Mac and Cheese stuck in my mind. The girls returned with a mediocre review as well. They ordered the Echo Park Chop, a salad that I had mentioned looked interesting. A cucumber based salad garnished with a healthy helping of Fritos, it sounded unique if nothing else. According to Jenny, that’s about all you could say for it, its novelty loosing effect after a few bights. They also gave a weak review to the Mac and Cheese, complaining that it didn't have that crunchy seared cheese topping that is by default expected when ordering such a dish away the Kraft boxes at home.

Giving the place one last chance, I stopped by to get dinner to go on Sunday evening. I had a hunkering for some comfort food, still sleepy from the afternoon nap. I ordered the Chicken Fried Chicken with sides of Mac and Cheese (was it really that bad?) and Cole slaw (Cole slaw is a good test for the quality of any venue that serves it). Returning home, I opened the box to find the following. A healthy serving of crunchy flavorful boneless breast of chicken pounded flat, a small serving of tasty mashed potatoes both lightly coated with gravy, a serving of macaroni slightly glazed with what I assume is cheese, and the saving grace, a creamy slightly citrusy Cole slaw.

All in all, although not a complete disappointment, I expected better. With what looks like a packed kitchen, I would hope that this place is just finding its legs. Regardless, business seems good for it, so demand is there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home