Friday, October 07, 2005

On the Stereo

Although it doesn't consume as much of my life as it used to, I'm still a music fiend. Love hearing new stuff. Can't get enough of it. So here's a quick rundown of some things i'm enjoying at the moment.

In the Soul and R&B mode, there are two recordings I'm digging right now.

Galactic: Galactic Vintage Reserve - A best of for this New Orleans group. When I first came across this band, I thought they were a late 60's early 70's funk band like Cymande, that I just hadn't heard of before. But it turns out that they produced most of their work in the late 90's early 2k. That might be ruining it for you though. These guys had moments of truely channeling the days when funk was something that you couldn't shake, like the blues. Much more satisfying then the latest Quantic Soul Orchestra album which is just too spotty to be called great.

Black Heat: No Time To Burn - As far as I know this is a vinyl only re-release through Rhino Records. I found it at Arons records. A shop I hadn't been to in probably over a year. Good to see its managing to stay in business, although It wasn't as busy as it used to be (the pros and cons of having an Amoeba in your town). Anyway, this album is great. Released in 1974 it reflects a genre of Funk/Soul that I can't get enough of. More song writing then the "rare-groove" stuff that floods the bins. It doesn't sound like its been remixed at all, which it could probably stand a bit of.

On the Psychedelic tip I've found two winning albums.

Warlocks: Surgery - Warlocks are a local band I had read about a while ago in the LA Weekly but never got around to checking out. Turns out they produce solid Psychedelic rock kinda in a Spaceman 3/Spiritualized way. I'm not sure why I'm drawn to such droning hypnotic music, but I find it rather therapudic even without the chemicals typically associated with it.

Dungen: Ta Det Lugnet- This is my obsession of the moment. This album rocks me. For a while, I thought the most exciting takes on rock and roll were coming out of Japan. I thought Cornelius' Fantasma was one of the best albums i had heard in years. This album has me leaning towards the Swedes when it comes to most influential countries for music. This album spans influences as recent as Super Furry Animals to classics such as Can and Sun Ra, combining it all into something all together original and inspired. The singer sings in his native language which might put some people off, but if you can get passed it, I think you'll be pretty blown away if the aformentioned bands rock your boat.

Honerable mentions:

The Wedding Present have reformed and are as solid as ever. The new album "Take Fountain" evidentally started as a Cinerama album then morphed into a Wedding Present. It combines the best of both.

Pelican is touted as the future of Metal. Sound like solid instrumental rock to me.

I saw Anthony David play at the Temple bar a while ago. Talented soul/blues/acoustic guitar player. His album has some choice bits to it, including Cold Turkey and Georgia Peach(remix). This is an album built for itunes, sample the songs and find the ones you like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home