Thursday, August 31, 2006

My Creative Friends: Scott at Ten10

So I've been meaning to do an entry on my friend Scott Nadeau and his shop Ten10 for quite some time now. But I wanted to do it justice, get some nice picts and think it through a bit. But this morning Mr. Scott greeted me from the front page of the LA Times Home section and screamed "Good God Man, what are you waiting for?!"

Scott is one of the first business owners I met in Silver Lake when I moved here, and he's been a gracious man ever since. I've bought several pieces from him, so maybe he's just a good business man...or maybe its just that he tolerates me so he can spend quality time with my dog Lu. Regardless, he's a good guy and has exceptional taste in furniture, pottery, and sculpture.

Recently he has helped revive the careers of a handful of California area mid-century designers and artists. Stan Bitters, a sculptor and ceramics artist has gotten a helpful boost from Scott's enthusiasm for his work. So has the late David Wilkens. Who had an eponymous gallery show of his work curated by Scott. Each have had small articles in the LA Times recently.

Scott himself is a bit of a designer having developed a series of sofa's, chairs, and lamps that he sells exclusively in his store.I happen to have one of his couches in my living room (now covered in Lu hair unfortunately). As well, he and his father collaborated on a portable Fire Pit that I bought for my dad to use on his fishing trips.

Scott has a passion for clean lines and natural materials. Much of Ten10's products are dedicated to either things like Architectural pottery that bring structure to the natural environment or sculpture that brings an organic sense to ones living room.

I'll snap some pictures this weekend and elaborate on this posting, but I wanted to get something up because I had actually noticed quite a few people landing on my page after doing a search for Scott's name. The picture above is the top of one of Stan Bitters' "totem" sculptures that have been available at Ten10.

1 Comments:

Blogger Clare said...

Hello. Enjoyed your reviews and I would like to know if Scott at Ten10 has a website or email address. Our good friend Gene Weston knows Scott and had some of his own furniture designs for sale at Ten10- we would like to purchase Genes pieces if still available. Gene & my father in law Fred Liebhardt were SanDiego architects 1960-90 Liebhardt/Weston & Associates in LaJolla,CA.
Thank you. Clare

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home