Monday, August 21, 2006

I See Crabs in LA

This last Sunday Jenny and I stopped by Cliffs Edge restaurant for brunch to celebrate Jenny's official moving out of her condo and our official co-habitation.

If you're not in the know, Cliffs Edge is a hidden gem located right next door to the 99cent store on Sunset in Silver Lake. Enter the not descript parking lot (its so in not to have a sign on your joint here) and enter an oasis of Mediterranean charm. There is seating inside and out....but I really wouldn't know why you'd want to sit inside this place..the patio and terrace areas are what really makes this place special (ambiance wise). The place is managed by Pierre Casanova, who was formerly at Les Deux Cafes and Little Door. Makes sense.

The crowd is definitely more high-end then I'm used to seeing at a Silver Lake establishment.

We sat down and drooled over the menu for a bit. Nothing too out there, but tempting versions of standard Brunch food. Jenny ordered a spinach omelet with gruyere cheese and I ordered the poached eggs with crab hash and salsa. Jenny's omelet was damn good. I know, omelets are omelets...but the cheese definitely amped it up a notch. It was served with a Brioche toast that had some sort of fresh fruit compote spread...peach and orange rind maybe. Solid. But I have to say, if for nothing else, my egg dish was reason enough to visit this place. Small but perfectly poached eggs topped with a red and green salsa and sour cream sat upon a layer of crisp hash-browns and.....wait for it.....a mass of LUMP CRAB MEAT. Oh man, I’m telling you up until now I had yet to actually taste real crab in LA. Whenever I order crab-cakes anywhere in LA its always minced to hell and smothered in breadcrumbs or some crap. This was just pure chunks of crabmeat. Bliss. I don't think it was Blue Crab, but I’ll let that slide.

I had an expensive but tasty Bloody Mary to accompany the meal. The glass was rimmed with crab seasoning, a perfect compliment.

Since it was a celebration, we didn't stop there. We ordered a desert as well. Caramelized pear crepe with mascarpone ice cream. Jenny loved this dish. Not too sweet, but delish.

We let our meal settle and people watched (Mrs. Bestor walked in of course, and yet again didn't say hi....harrumph!). I then jetted over to Luxe for my haircut and stopped by Giant Robot for a toy fix. All in all a pretty good Sunday.

We'll be back for Dinner to this place I'm sure...or maybe another brunch and try one of their Kobe Beef Hamburgers. Cliffs Edge is at 3626 Sunset Blvd near Edge Cliff Blvd.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home