Tuesday, June 13, 2006

In The Slaw

This Spring seems to be a great season for music. I'm hearing a lot of stuff I'm liking.

The Coup's new album Pick a Bigger Weapon has definitely infected my itunes. I've been listening to it obsessively. Its like an Outkast album with politically subversive lyrics. Really great. Fairly heavy lyrics delivered under the guise of seriously funky songs. Who wants to check them out later in July with me?

The Raconteurs album is kicking my ass as well. Jack White with a real band and some friends to even out his goofy tendencies. Some are saying that this album is a little too all over the board...but since when are any of the White Stripes albums a lesson in focus. This thing ranges in influences from the Beatles to Sabbath and its all good in my book.

The new Mission of Burma album is maybe one of the best they've ever made. Pure Art-Punk. If you remember these guys from back in the day, don't count them out...they're still amazing. If you've never heard them, discover a band that's just as much of any influence as Gang of Four but a bit harder to imitate.

Lots of other stuff.

Oh, one thing. I saw a JC Penny commercial recently featuring Flaming Lips Yeah Yeah Yeah song. Holey crap, common guys, do you really have to sell out that fast. Using a great song about abusing power gets co-opted to sell suits and crappy clothing. Rather sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home