Friday, May 19, 2006

Desert Life

Since I've come out West, I've had a fascination with the Desert. Back east, there wasn't anything like it. Nature always meant an almost suffocating amount of foliage and trees. The desert is vast and sparse. Its like a giant japanese garden. Joshua Tree and the 29palms area is one that I've come back to several times. I find it incredibly relaxing. The heat forces you to slow down.

Up until recently, these towns catered to the Military bases nearby and those who worked and lived there didn't find much culture in their Oasis. But more and more, I've been hearing about some exciting stuff going on in these places. Coachella, a festival that has taken on a life of its own, may somehow introduced people to the areas potential. Recenty a club called Pappy and Hariet's Pioneertown Palace has been booking bands like Stereolab and Calexico. The latest sign of life in the desert I've stumbled upon is a project called High Desert Test Sites. In their own words, HDTS is:

A series of experimental art sites located along a stretch of desert communities including Pioneer town, Yucca Valley, Joshua tree, 29 Palms and Wonder Valley. These sites provide alternative space for experimental works by both emerging and established artists.

Pretty cool.

A little gem of desert space that I found a while ago is called Desert Christ. Read about it here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the phone booth in the middle of nowhere was cool. There was a business card for scottmonteith.com that I snagged off of it. Then the other day I found his blog with illegal alien pictures. I'm not sure but this feels like that same treasure hunt for art in the desert. Only this time I intend to find the guy serving drinks from his trunk!

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home