Friday, May 19, 2006

21Sided Dice are Silly


So back in Junior High, I had two friends who were way into Dungeons and Dragons. Richard and Hanz. Trouble makers by nature, but they were also budding comic book illustrators and we used to hang out and draw funky characters. I was always the less intense and more conventional of the three and I just couldn't grasp the "seriousness" of DnD. One day they convinced me to play, and I made such a joke of it that Richard tried to beat me up.

Near our houses were a series of drainage sewers that we used to walk or ride our bikes down. We'd find ourselve piering out of sewer ways and taunting younger kids walking by. We even managed to meander our way 3-4miles to the local mall all underground. There was one fork in the path that was infamous. It was called Spic's Dungeon. It was exceptionally dark and many said that hard-core DnD players would go down there and reinact battles with actual weapons (LARP's to them). I never made it down Spic's Dungeon, again it all just didn't make sense to me and I'd rather go home and master my drawings of Andy Cap (everyone could draw Snoopy).

Well, Dungeons and Dragons is sort of a hip nostalgia these days, and many video games emulate its style and substance but without all the sheets of paper and 21sided die. It all just still seems silly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home