Monday, December 19, 2005

Indie Mornings

When Indie 103.1 first hit the airwaves awhile back I wanted to hate it. I had heard that at its core it was owned by ClearChannel, a mega-corp that has been gobbling up radio stations nationally and turning them into lifeless souls. How could something owned by these farts be called Indie?

As well, at the beginning, there were no dj's and way too much Violent Femmes and Beastie Boys being played ad-nauseum. I really didn't know what to make of it.

Well, the station has found its feet in many respects and I'm not sure about the ClearChannel thing, but I have to say that when KCRW becomes too pathetic for me, I now check Indie before flipping to KXLU (still probably the most "Indie" station in town).

Everyone here knows that Jonesy's Jukebox is a great listen. For those of you not in town, Jonesy is no other then Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols. He's hilarious.

But the show that I've really grown to dig is the Mighty Morning show featuring Dicky Barret. Dicky Barret used to be the front man for the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, a band I had great hatred for back in the day. MMB were Jock Ska to me and my friends. We were all into The Specials, Selector, Bad Manners, and The Toasters. But the Bosstones were a style of Ska we just couldn't get behind.

Many years later, Dicky is the host of a pretty damn good morning show. He's funny, plays decent music and has good guests on. Give it a try.

As for the Clearchannel thing, someone give me the scoop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home