Wednesday, December 14, 2005

A Few of My Favorite Things

With the Ipod fad, there have been a rush of headphone designs that have flooded the market. The majority of them suck. Some comprimise sound for size or ergonomics. Then there are those in-ear headphones. The best reviewed of course cost over a hundred bucks. And even though they are small and fit into your ear canal, they can be uncomfortable and any movement in amplified through the wires.

Well, I mostly listen to music at work...sometime when I'm walking my dog. When walking the dog, I use a pair of crappy Sony headphones, I guess I don't really care about fidelity then, just something to keep me walking. At work, on the other hand, I want good sounding stuff. And to be honest, I just haven't found it from those tiny headphones. My phones of choice are the Grado SR60's.

Grado is a small company based in Brooklyn NYC. They focus on headphones and record needles.

The SR60's are the lowest model of headphones that Grado makes, but they sound incredible. Style wise, these things look like something Radar from MASH might have worn, but they sound incredible. No, they don't cancel out noise, but they sound incredible. No they don't fit in your pocket, but they sound incredible. Did I say.....yeah I did. Snooty terms like Soundstage and warmth of sound really make sense when you listen to these. The headphones are comfortable as well. These puppies aren't sold in your local Best Buy. You'll need to either check your local high-end stereo retailer or find them online. The image featured is of the R1 series, a significantly more upscale version. I can only imagine what they sound like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home