Sunday, December 04, 2005

Glutton, No Doubt About It

My god, this weekend was a blur of food, drink, and holiday shopping.

Friday night, I started the weekend off with a Wine Tasting at the Colorado Wine shop in Eagle Rock with a bunch of friends (probably half of my audience, so this should simply be a re-cap for many of you). $15bucks for 5 half glasses of prime vino. I'd say there were at least three of them that I really enjoyed. Hey, If any of you that attended managed to grab the menu, please send me a list of the wines we had, cause I'd actually like to pick one of em up at some point. Cheese was supplied by the new Auntie Em's specialty foods store. Afterwards we sobered up at an Italian place within walking distance, it served its purpose and we closed the place down.

Saturday Jen and I hit the aforementioned Pottery sales and snagged some presents. We hadn't eaten breakfast so In between sales, we hit Dinah's Chicken on San Fernando in the Glendale/Atwater area. I had driven passed the place several times and had wanted to check it out. Both Jen and I had a two piece chicken lunch that came with a side (mine Mac and Cheese, Jenny's Pineapple Slaw) and a roll (with apple-butter, oh yeah). Chicken was delish. Moist with a thin but crispy coating. The mac and cheese, I liked but Jenny thought was sub-par. The Slaw was good, sweet but not too sweet. Apple butter was a nice touch. All for 4.50. A primo deal. Boxes and Tubs of chicken are available for carry out, so stop by for your next party. After lunch we hit the Atwater Pottery sale. I had no idea that the stuff was created by Adam Silverman, a good friend of my old bosses from my video game days. His stuff is really impressive. Interesting textures and whatnot. His stuff is available at OK on Third St. but its fairly pricey.

To even the grease out, we had salad for dinner while watching the end of Chinatown. Had never seen the whole thing before and got a kick out of seeing Echo Park play a substantial role in the movie.

Sunday, again a minimal breakfast in preparation for the potential of another epic lunch. We hit the Self Help Graphics print sale. Pretty damn cool. A good selection of work that included a Raymond Pettibon print for a quite reasonable price of $250 as well as works by Paul McCarthy, and Ed Moses (all out of our price range, but maybe next year). Prints ranged from $10 to $1000, so there were a few pieces within our reach. All proceeds benefited Self Help, which ironically is in much need of help.
Next weekend is another sale, check it out.

After the sale, we meandered looking for a few different potential spots for lunch. One with a long line that we didn't feel like braving, another was closed. We finally landed at Teresitas at 3826 First St. This was probably the farthest east I had ever ventured in Los Angeles proper. Teresitas is a nice place with nice staff. We had read that the Chilaquilles were exceptional there, which was fine by me. I love the chili killers. I ordered it with egg (never knew there was a choice) and a side of Carne Asada (I know, I'm outta hand). The ubiquitous chips and salsa were serve. The salsa was exceptional. A roasted chili salsa, smoky and salty. A yellowish spicy one that we couldn't quite figure out, but liked. Jenny ordered Taquitos. So eventually our food was delivered. My chilaquillas and asada was awesome. Really, the best I've had I think. Jenny wasn't blown away by her taquitos but I thought they were pretty good. Quite a hike for most of us, but I highly recommend the trek and Boyle Heights has some neat areas. Wish I had my camera with me.

So that was my weekend. I'm still full, I think I'll bike to work tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home