Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Glutton or Gourmande Pt. 2: Tamale Fest

Last Sunday, a weekend mostly lost to my battleing off a cold, Jen and I managed to get down to the first annual Los Angeles Tamale Festival. The fest was held at 1400 North Spring Street, conveniently near Not A Cornfield (see below entry).

It being the first year, the fest had a grass roots feel. The neighborhood it was held in seems to be trying its best to grow out of its "no mans land" image of the past. I had only been down through this area trying to find my way downtown from San Fernando Blvd. one day.

In total, Jenny and I had 5 tamales, from 3 different vendors. One Chicken, two pork, one green chili and cheese, and one pineapple. My favorites were the green chili and the pineapple. The pineapple supplied by Tamales Alberto located at 1644 W. Temple St. The green chili from Nini's (no info on them).

This seems like a good warm up for the Indio International Tamale Festival.

Personally some of the best Tamales i've had have come from the Tamale guy who travels the local watering holes (such as The Rustic, or The Short Stop) although the 4 Newcastles downed while waiting for him to arrive probably helped. In addition, the tamales purchased at my place of work on any given morning are pretty great too. A great tamale consists of masa rich in flavor and smooth texture. The masa, at its best, has a buttery flavor with an added spicyness. Although Tamales can be frozen and enjoyed any time, seems like the fresher the better.

I like Tamales.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home