Thursday, November 03, 2005

Form Factor


I've kind of had a Love/Hate affair with B&O products.

When I was in high school I saved up to buy this bitchin Bang and Olufsen turntable that was my prized posession for a while, only for it to die after a few years and have someone tell me it couldn't be fixed.

These days, I feel they stradle the line between out-dated 80's Porsche style and genuine out of the box thinking.

Although, functionally the BeoSound 3 doesn't brake any major barriers, its form factor rocks. Way out of my price range, I may still stop by a store and pet one.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Denmark B&O is essentially the National Stereo System. True, most Danes can't afford B&O audio gear, but we love it no less. Also true that B&O gear is prone to breaking and doesn't really have "amazing" sound - however it embodies something very Danish... the concept of challenging conventions of form and functionality.

B&O released an iTunes-like application called BoePlayer 3.10. It's free - which is shocking from the company selling a $90 key fob. It's also a little perplexing to look at, but very cool once you get the hang of it.

Download it here:
http://www.bang-olufsen.com/sw29180.asp

I'm a bit of a glutton for anything that breaks with conventional user interface method - mostly because I think it's important to challenge convention. Download it just to experience a little slice of B&O for yourself.

PS - I did own a B&O turntable (broke) and phone (broke). I currently own a fully-functional B&O bottle opener.

2:30 PM  
Blogger lakeside said...

Bless you Raz, this is the type of commenting I would love to see on my blog. Thanks for the info, you're the encyclopedia I wish I was.

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home