Friday, November 25, 2005

East Beverly Blvd. in 60 minutes

Last Friday, I managed to survey a good range of East Beverly Blvd's culinary offerings.

At approximately 12:00pm I left work to head to a chocolate store to pick up a present. I turned left off of Alameda to 2nd street and headed west. Veering off 2nd, I headed up to Beverly Blvd. At this moment I recalled a Bagel Shop that had been hyped on KCRW during their pledge drives. Brooklyn Bagels, they claimed (as did a few other sources) were the true bagel, rare in this town. Just passing Alvarado at around 12:15 I spotted the sign, pulled over and parked. Picked myself up a bakers dozen (2onion, 2sesame, 2rye, 2cinamon raison, and 1 salt and poppy). They looked good and reasonably priced. The place is open to 11pm on most days and between 3-5pm on Mondays thru Thursdays they offer the holy delights for half price.

Bagel bag in hand, I got back into my car and continued on Beverly towards my main destination Picholine on First. I drove passed the original Original Tommy's Chiliburger stand and arrived at Picholine around 12:25. The destination is just passed the corner of Commonwealth, veering off of Beverly onto 1st street. Picholine is currently two stores, one that serves sandwiches and does catering, the other handcrafts chocolates. I stepped into the chocolate store and ordered a small box of dark chocolates, including the novel Chili infused chocolate square with a Mayan style design on the top. Exiting the chocolate store around 12:35 I noticed that the sandwich shop did not take plastic and my plan of picking up a quick sandwich was foiled. Instantly, the image of the red hut of heart attacks popped into my head. Tommy's it was.

Just a few minutes later I found street parking and ran over to the shack that Tom built. Almost as quickly as I ordered my meal to the surly Mexican host, my burger and fries were served up in front of me, wrapped in a cozy blanket of wax paper. Canned soda was selected out of one of several freezers (mine, Hawaiian punch). The parking lot is surrounded by counter like tables with no chairs. A stand-up experience to instigate digestion I figure. The burger, no architectural feat like Jays, was sloppy but good. The fries were exceptionally crispy yet maintaining potato-y goodness. I scarfed the lunch down, probably a little too fast, dumped my mess in a trashcan and got back in my car.

I entered the parking lot of work at 1:00, completing a perfect hour of gluttony.

Prolog: The bagels were delish, but since they contain no preservatives, they go stale quickly so either consume immediately or cut and freeze leftovers promptly. The Chili chocolate? Awesome, really, I dug it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home