Monday, December 19, 2005

The Amoeba Syndrom

So some people at work and I had recently been talking about the pros and cons of Amoeba Records.

Any non-Californians may be unaware of Amoeba. Amoeba is an insanely well-stocked Indie Music Super Store.It started in Berkeley, made its way into SF proper and now has a two-floor store in Los Angeles.

One can't deny that if you're looking for something, you'll probably be able to find it at Amoeba. And it is a nice alternative to Virgin or Tower. But it does have some major drawbacks.

Since Amoeba opened, over two years ago I believe, the small specialty record stores have been suffering. Arons records, a place I frequented religiously for the first few years I was in LA, is closing its doors. Upon Shop in Silver Lake, a thinly stocked DJ store is also closing. Although you may figure that things such as Digital distribution may be at fault as well, you might be slightly right...but the aforementioned places were where music shopping just wasn't about the music, but the objects as well and maybe even the process....hunting "crates" for that unexpected album, CD, DVD, what have you.

Although Amoeba doesn't try and put these places out of business; my friend Spencer who worked there previously says they even "support" the idea of small specialty shops, their size and selection just makes it silly to drive to different parts of town looking for stuff.

When I shop these days...I try and visit the small shops like Don's or Sea Level. But I tell you the truth, I like iTunes as well.

There is hope though, a new shop has opened on Fairfax called Turntable Lab. I'll give you a heads up when I've had a chance to check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home