Monday, August 22, 2005

Weekend gone but not lost.

So, there were so many happenings this last weekend.

Shellac played three shows this weekend. I missed all of them. If anyone reading this went… please comment on the shows. Part of me hopes they were a disaster…like a disappointing meteor shower that you drive all the way out to the desert to see because it only occurs every five years…Simply because I don’t want to hear that I missed the event of the summer. But let me have it regardless. By the way, I was amazed how many people hadn't heard of Shellac, let alone Big Black. C'mon kids, know your past.

Another event I missed was the Burlesque show at the Orpheum. I had met the women who put on the event and it seems as though she put a lot of effort into it, so I hope it went well for her and I hope she is able to put on more events at the Orpheum. A burlesque show and then drinks at the Broadway bar next door certainly sounds like a swank night out.

Now don’t get me wrong, I did plenty this weekend. And no one can do everything that’s available in this town. These two events seemed especially good and it’s my own fault I missed them. Regardless, I’ll give you the lowdown on what I did actually manage to do.

Friday:
We wont discuss Friday. I was tired and grumpy and spent the night in.

Saturday:
Saturday afternoon I managed to finally get myself to the Autry to see the Once Upon a Time in Italy exhibit about Sergio Leone’s spaghetti western movies. Gobs of vintage posters, production sketches, and props from the films and a healthy look at what provoked Sergio to re-invent the American Western icon.

Yeah, I know I’ve sung the praise of the Autry before, and I’ll do it once again. The exhibit design is solid and entertaining. It’s a small exhibit that takes little time to walk through unless you sit and watch all the documentaries available, which are worth the time if you don’t feel like reading. The exhibit will be available for viewing through January, so you've got time but don't slack and miss it.

The Autry will be showing the Leone trilogy in the next few Saturdays on the lawn of the museum. The event is free to the public. If you can’t deal with the crowds at Sunset Junction next Saturday night, stop by the Autry instead.

Saturday night, I headed over to West Hollywood to hang with the honey and see a movie. We first had dinner at Gaucho Grill. An Argentinean restaurant in a strip mall next to the Sunset Five. The place was surprisingly good. The interior is typical Hollywood drab. Nothing special. But the food was quite tasty and bountiful. We ordered one chicken and one salmon dish. I don’t think we managed to finish either but not without our best effort.

After dinner we walked over to the Sunset Five and saw Jim Jarmusch’s new movie Broken Flowers. Although his movies can be hit or miss, I’ve been pretty devout in seeing any movie directed by this guy since I discovered Strangers in Paradise in college. Cigarettes and Coffee had its moments but suffered from Jarmusch’s love for awkward silence that can either make or break his films. In Broken Flowers Jim creates what might be the closest to a real narrative movie. Regardless, it pure Jarmusch; a traveling meandering story with periods of epic silence and mundanely hilarious scenarios. The acting is great, not only by Bill Murray who can probably walk through the jaded aging clown character that he’s mastered in the last few years, but by all the actors and actress’ who make their appearances here. I highly recommend the film.

Sunday:
Sunday I dropped off my latest batch of Silver lake shirts to Pull My Daisy for the Junction next weekend. I’ll hype this a bit more later in the week. Afterwards, Jenny and I had some overpriced salads at the Kasbah and then drove around checking out open houses around the east side. Prices are high, but there were a few houses that showed promise…but we were just browsing…really, don’t get any ideas. The Sunday ended at Kelly and Hueys in Glasell Park for a small party celebrating our friend David’s birthday. A very nice way to end it all.

So although I might have sounded glum about missing some good events this weekend, all in all the time wasn’t wasted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home