Monday, August 15, 2005

He Fatty


I just started a new book. I Fatty, by Jerry Stahl. A novel about the silent era comedy star Fatty (Roscoe) Arbuckle. You may have noticed the guerilla marketing around the neighborhood for the book.

Fatty, in his day, was more popular then Charlie Chaplin. The first comedian to produce and direct his own films. He was the originator of the pie in face sight gag. A true rags to riches story. Unfortunately he was also the classic sad clown. Drowning his sorrows in booze and drugs. One of his frequent watering holes was the Tam O'shanter on Los Feliz blvd. in Atwater.

I’ve been to the Tam only once. The place is worth checking out if you’re in the mood for a steak or pot-pie and whatnot. The bar (fatties favorite room) is supposed to be pretty great as well. In the coming weeks I’m hoping to return to spot for a more discerning analysis.

So far, I’m diggin the book. Although a pretty major bummer its also a page turner. I’ll give a complete review upon completion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home