Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Self Help


One thing that I miss about my home town of Washington D.C. is the sense of community and natural tendency towards interest in non-profit organizations. I don't know if it was the circle of friends I found myself in, or simply that Washington is the nations capital and therefore a natural center of activism and social justice.

In Los Angeles, small alternative institutions can get swallowed up if they don't find some way of gaining mainstream acceptance.

Self Help graphics is a latino-centric collective for the arts that has managed to keep the momentum going for some 30 odd years. That is until a few months ago when Self Help unsuspectingly shut its doors just weeks before their popular yearly print sale. An institution that gathered artists from Boyle Heights and beyond to express their artistic visions since the early 70's had seemed to be met with a silent demise.

Luckily, many refused to stay silent and decided to revive the center. Self Help Graphics plans to re-open its doors in late September. The print sale is tentatively scheduled for September 25th. Please go out to the sale and support the program and the artists it gives life to.

Another institution I've just been introduced to, that I'm sure could use extra support is a book store in Highland Park called Flor y Canto. Flor y Canto is a community center and radical bookstore that offers a place for alternative political and social information and dialogue. I have yet to visit the store, so I'll reserve my praise for or against the politics and messages it may premote. But as far as I'm concerned, alternative dialogues are an important part of progressing our society and world and should be supported whenever possible. So stop by the bookstore and check out its offerings. For a more passive showing of support, try purchasing one of their cool shirts they have to offer (check the T-shirt section of the website).

Self Help Graphics is located at 3802 Cesar E. Chavez Ave, Los Angeles CA 90063.
Flor y Canto is located at 3706 N.Figueroa Ave Los Angeles, CA 90065 In NortheastLA

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home