Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Buck McGibbony


Earlier today, I mentioned that my old friend Buck is currently in the hospital fighting to recover from a motorcycle accident. I’d like to take a minute to say a few words about Buck McGibbony.

When I moved out to LA it was to work for a company, then called Insomniac, that was developing some interesting video game properties. Buck was employed as a programmer at Insomniac. Although a talented programmer, Buck is also deeply rooted in LA’s underground. At the time, he was the bassist for Farflung. Farflung was a psychedelic/space rock band with a devout following.

Buck hooked me up with Paige Jerret’s crew at KBLT, Los Angeles’ now infamous pirate radio station in Silver Lake.
I managed to fill in for a few DJ’s at KBLT for the last 6 months of its existence. This was without a doubt, one of the most gratifying experiences i've had in LA. Although I was incredibly shy and didn’t talk to many of the other DJ’s, being a part of it all was a huge thrill. Without Buck, I’m sure I would have never heard of the station, let alone get a chance to DJ there.

Buck grew restless at Insomniac and decided to go chase UFO’s in Colorado. Yeah, Space Rock was not just some random genre to Buck. He’s deeply interested in the potential of discovering what is lying beyond our planets and was sure that our government was/is hiding some essential information from us. So he left to reveal the conspiracy.

A year or two later, I bumped into Buck. He had moved back, having been foiled by whoever keeps the secrets secret. I continued to see him here and there for a bit, and then I’m sure our cultures took separate paths as they inevitably do for most.

I actually haven’t seen or talked to Buck for years. And I can’t tell you whether he still shares the passions that I described here.

Regardless, out of the blue, after only a week of subscribing to a local alternative mailing list I received notice of his accident.

I feel sure that Buck will rebound from this with the energy he’s had for all his challenges.

6 Comments:

Blogger lakeside said...

i've suddenly recieved what i suspect are a flurry of spam like comments on this posting. How f%ing rude can you be do spam a posting about a guy in the hospital. If you left a comment here, and i mistankingly deleted it with the assumption that it was spam, please re-post with a sincere comment about the story and not a hyping of your "swimming pool chemical" blog.

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a generous little piece of recognition for a character who's so much more than the scant sum of his parts.

Always appreciated (Walter) Bucky, who I knew between Death Ride 69 & Farflung. I can say this about him: what he lacks in stature, he makes up for in "presence" - a compliment I typically reserve for myself!wtnop

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a generous little piece of recognition for a character who's so much more than the scant sum of his parts.

Always appreciated (Walter) Bucky, who I knew between Death Ride 69 & Farflung. I can say this about him: what he lacks in stature, he makes up for in "presence" - a compliment I typically reserve for myself!

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a generous little piece of recognition for a character who's so much more than the scant sum of his parts.

Always appreciated (Walter) Bucky, who I knew between Death Ride 69 & Farflung. I can say this about him: what he lacks in stature, he makes up for in "presence" - a compliment I typically reserve for myself!

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(aw crimony! woulda look at that?!)

ATTN: BLOG ADMINISTRATOR? - HELLO?
...er, excuse me, again, pls....

d'u wanna kill the dupes for me?
(much obliged, if you would...thnx)


best regards!
kv

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home