Wednesday, July 26, 2006

More Shattered Dreams

Two times in as many days my dreams have been crushed.

Ya see, I guess at heart I consider myself an idea guy. A dreamtime philanthropist without a cent to my name even. I come up with ideas that stick in my head. I know they're good ideas. I tell my friends and they say, "yeah those are good ideas, you should do them." And then I don't....I just keep them as ideas. Largely out of fear of what it takes to make an idea real. Lots and lots of money and time. I have neither. But maybe I'm kidding myself, maybe I'm just too lazy to really follow something through. Who knows? But I'm just being dramatic. If I really wanted to follow through with something, just because a version of it exists doesn't mean there isn't room for one more. I mean, there's always room for one more Thai restaurant, there's always room for one more Bar...

So what am I babbling about? Well, yesterday I stumbled upon MenuPages LA. This site essentially does what my friend Rob and I have been discussing for years. A web site that houses menu's from all your favorite restaurants, so you needn't keep that sloppy folder stuck in some random drawer. You know, that mess of menu's you have...of pizza joints and cheap Thai. It's a great resource. Check it out, and if you think it could be better, send me comments and maybe Rob and I will get off our butts and give it a run for their money....or we'll just sit back and say....yeah I coulda done that.

Then, this morning Jenny brought to my attention an article in today’s LATimes. The article titled Ritzing Silver Lake is about a woman who plans to open two Hotels in the Silver Lake area. One an hip moderately priced place where the old Sunset Pacific hotel stands. The other, a seemingly much more posh event in the Paramour Estate (Jenny and I briefly checked out this place for our wedding). This is another concept I had talked to my friends about several times. SL has needed a decent Hotel for years. In fact, my friend Cinnamon and I concepted a B&B in Silver Lake back when I worked at KPE which seems like a lifetime ago (and to give C her props, I believe it was originally her idea). Anyway, again, regardless of whether I created it or not, It's a good idea and I'm excited to see its fruition.

And just for the record, I wont go off on the writer of the article who lumped the Sunset Pacific, Short Stop, and Lucky Joy (i believe its Little Joy jackass) into the Silver Lake neighborhood which I'm sure will have Echo Park and Los Feliz hipster spinning in their couches.

So who wants to give me a million dollars for my next bright idea? Clearly we can't let this keep happening.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug:

Several years ago, when I thought I ruled the world, I attempted to buy the Sunset Pacific and do the exact same thing. And what I learned was, between the 2M the owner was demanding, the tiny rooms, and the crap condition, it would take way too much $ to make it econonically feasable. I ran the #'s past a family friend, a giant hotelier (who owns the Avalon, among many others throughout the US), and he said my #s were exactly right. Which means she's going to get burned, having spent the 5M it will take to not only full-on renovate, but acquire the house next door and the property down the street for parking. Be glad you didn't actually follow through with this one. Even those with the golden touch get burned if they time it badly.

Dave F

1:39 PM  
Blogger lakeside said...

actually, the Olive Hotel would have been my preferred spot...although it would have to be at the expense of the low income housing next door.

thanks for stopping by again Dave.

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home