Friday, July 21, 2006

Rubber Soul

On monday of this week, about a third of the way into work, my bicycle tire blew. A big nail punctured the "green slime" protected inner tube and my morning was killed.

For the last few months, I've been pretty good about biking into work an average of 3 days a week. I've been really happy with it. My rough estimates indicate that i'm probably saving $15bucks a week in gas. I'm not polluting the city as much. I'm getting a good amount of excersize ( its a solid 5 miles in and another 5 miles back and by another loose estimate I'm burning potentially 800calories each day I do it). Unfortunately, Its all built muscle in my legs but hasn't taken anything off my chest or stomach which is in dire need of reduction.

So now I need to simply change my tube, which i fear may be complicated by the inner tube that came with the bike containing this funky green goo that supposed prevent flats. Regardless, I'll take a stab at it and hopefully get it fixed in time for a sweltering trip in on Monday.

Bikely is a cool but relatively young site that aims to help people exchange bike routes around their respective cities. Especially in LA this could be a useful tool since the streets here are so damn bike unfriendly.

My purpose for this entry....well i'm not sure. I guess maybe to encourage you to dust off that Huffy and get out on the road. But if you do, make sure you bring an extra inner-tube.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tuco said...

Hi lakeside, was just checking other bike commuting blogs and found yours. Like the Al Gore video as well!
For a canadian bike commuting blog try
http://tucorides.blogspot.com
if you have time.
Take care!

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home