Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Summer Flicks

I've managed to check out three different "non netflix" films in so many weeks. That's impressive for me....for some reason I just haven't been making it out to the theaters enough.

Sketches of Frank Gehry: I was pretty impressed with this movie. I think alot of SoCal people want to not like Frank...he's become such an icon...and the goto guy for anyone who wants to think they understand contemporary architecture. But if the movie holds any truth, there isn't any reason not to think this guy is totally legit (although it was directed by his pal Sydney Pollack). It's interesting to see into the mind of a person who creates art that, unlike a painting, is imposed upon the collective viewership of any given city. And the movie is largely about the mind and instinct. This is where i really think this film hits the mark where others don't. I got a good impression on where Frank is coming from...and I admire it.

Wassup Rockers: My company presented a sneak peak of Larry Clarks (Kids, Gummo) new film at our factory. Jenny and I went down to check it out. We felt super old, the event drawing almost purely pre-twenty year old skate rats. The movie was projected onto a big white sheet outside and the sound was miserable. Assuming we weren't missing any insanely deep dialogue through the wind muffled speakers I'd have to say this one was a clunker. Replacing Clark's typical shock-value with derivative story-line, I felt like this was a failed attempt at creating a Suburbia for the Latino's of East LA. Instead of understanding their day to day environment though, we follow them to Beverly Hills where Zaniness and Danger ensues. Whatever.

Nach Libre: I had very low hopes for this one, and I was pleasantly surprised. Nacho Libre was a very entertaining and incredibly well art-directed summer flick that was perfect for Jack Black. Go check it out. Enough said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home