Friday, March 24, 2006

"Silver Lake" Film Festival

So the other week I had mentioned that the Silver Lake Film Fest would be going on and that I would try and do some research to see if there were any viewings that I might endorse. Well, disregarding my lackluster research I have to say two things. The premotion for this thing has been horrible. I haven't seen a program anywhere and most of the blogs I read haven't mentioned it at all. Except today on LAist they brought up another interesting observation. Most of the viewings will be at the ArcLight theater, quite well outside of Silver Lake. Now, LAist at least gives props to the Arclight as a general venue, but I can't even go that far. I personally think the Arclight ruined the best theater in LA, the Cinerama Dome. Although the dome remains in tact, the fact that its surrounded by this over-priced multi-plex has really destroyed its personality. And am I to really believe that assigned seating and having some pimply-faced dork give me the cliff-notes rendition of last weeks LA Times review of the movie is really worth my 14, or 16, or 20bucks or whatever it is to see a fricken movie at this place.....but I digress. As far as I can tell, the Silver Lake Film Fest hasn't grabbed hold of Silver Lake. Or if it has, I slipped through its fingers. So I'm just going to watch last weeks Saprano's at my girlfriends (whoops fiance) and call it a weekend.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Q: "And am I to really believe that assigned seating and having some pimply-faced dork give me the cliff-notes rendition of last weeks LA Times review of the movie is really worth my 14, or 16, or 20bucks or whatever it is to see a fricken movie at this place?"

A: YES YES YES. It's the only place you can arrive 2 min before the start of a movie and know you'll be able to get a good seat, the only place sans bebes, the only place you can raise the armrest and snuggle with your sweetie or some stranger if you're cold, the only place that gives you on occasion free movies and free corn (popped or caramel) and, AND the ladies' bathroom is very pretty.

12:27 PM  
Blogger lakeside said...

actually,there's a theater in Burbank that has the cool opposable armrests and its a standard fee. I've never recieved any free popcorn, and I haven't checked out the ladies bathroom (maybe next time). The only cool thing, is being able to get there at the last minute....but i'm still not sure if that makes the price worth it.

I fully expected some backlash for my statement though...I know alot of people like the place...personally i just think it was at a major cost...I mean, i don't think i've actually seen a movie in the actual cinerama dome theater since its been renevated. sad.

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home