Monday, January 02, 2006

Sad Start to the New Year

Anyone who lived in Richmond Va. will fondly recall a store called World of Mirth. Originally located just off the VCU campus near Don's Hot Nuts. Years later, Mirth moved to the Cary Town district. Always your one stop shop for quirky vintage and contemporary novelties. I bought my first "crazy monkey" there which danced to my enjoyement in my car until he fell apart. As well, they had a great collection of Winkies (or Lenticulars) that I have yet to find a match to. The woman who owned the store was incredibly nice and helpful. Definately one of the stores I would site as an influence if I were to open a place for kids.

Sadly, the owner Kathryn Harvey, her husband and two children were senselessly murdered in their Richmond home on New Years Day. I really can't imagine what souless being could have committed such a tragedy. Kathryn and her husband Bryan (a member of the bands NrG Krysys and House of Freaks) were neighborhood icons and undeniably good people who both brought fun and whimsy to the world.

Let peace reign in the New Year people. Stop the madness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home