Sunday, March 18, 2007

Hill Country

SW Hill Country has all the makings of a diamond in the rough from a totally naive perspective. I say naive, because I have yet to step foot into this Western Wear shop. Since I've moved within spitting distance to it, the facade has intrigued me. What I do know about it is this: It's located on the outskirts of Eagle Rock on the corner of Colorado and Eagle Vista blvd. a quarter of a mile from Figueroa. The only other commercial space in the vicinity is Cindy's diner and the upcoming Larkin’s restaurant. The outside of the store looks as though this shop has been there for 30years but evidently it opened in 2004. Minimal online research has determined that this shop is devoted to the modern day Los Angeles equine enthusiast. It's an odd location for such a place. I haven't noticed much "western" culture in the Eagle Rock area and regardless the place is disjointed from any common shopping district. To be sustainable SW Hill must either have a devoted group of enthusiasts who come back, or something that sets them apart and attracts people to this out of the way pup-tent of western wear.

Although I've been on a horse maybe twice in my life, my yet largely untapped fascination with the classic days of Hollywood’s star cow-boys (i.e. Tom Mix, and even Clint Eastwood) make this place very promising for me. But here is what really suggests that this place could be something great. Through a relatively obscure mail list I’m on I was informed that SW Hill Country is putting on a Jamboree of sorts.

The details are as follows:

Saturday, March 24,
MUSICX SW HILLCOUNTRY PARTY – Eagle Rock
Parking Lot Party at SW Hill Country Western Wear Store
1412 Colorado Blvd., Eagle Rock 90041 (Plenty of free street pkg)

1:00 – 5:00 pm
Free Music, BBQ and Suds!, Bring your lounge chairs or sit on our hay
bales. Bands are: Triple Chicken Foot (Bustin’ down Old Time Banjo and
Fiddle Music), The Running Kind (Classic Country Rock), El Ten Eleven
(An experimental instrumental musical journey; the next big thing!),
and Rockwood (Cosmic Country!)
Visit http://www.myspace.com/swhillcountry to hear the music. Store specials throughout the day!
For more information, call 323-256-2500 or http://www.swhillcountry.com

Sounds like a good time to me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home