Monday, September 05, 2005

Damn the Like Minded!


One of my many dreams has been to open a shop that caters to children and their interaction with their parents. Ya know, the way Ice cream parlors used to be. My parents used to take me to Farrell’s or Swenson’s when I got a good grade or did something exceptional. Since I was a rather marginal child, these places seemed like grand events to look forward to.

These days, it seems all too often that destination events for kids and their parents have turned into expensive endeavors like taking the kids to some theme park where one can easily spend over a hundred dollars to sit in long hot lines for rides, or drop several hundred bucks on some isolated back yard event with a clown, farm animals or god knows what. Or, on the other side, there are sterile places such as Basken Robbins and MacDonald’s....and I don't have to explain to you why they suck. Where are the kooky little corner sweet shops of yesteryear where a kid and father (or mother) can bond over a licorice whip, ice cream sundae, and leave with a goofy little trinket.

Well, one of two new shops on Rowena that I discovered this weekend is attempting to do just that. Its called Zanzabelle. And although it was closed when I stopped by, It looks like a very fun place indeed. A big inflatable giraffe welcomes you upon entering the gate. Through the window I could spot a small Ice Cream freezer, a collection of fun candies, funky toys and more. Kind of like something that might have existed in Peewee’s Big Adventure. Zanzabelle is closed on Mondays and does not open till 12 on Sundays.

I'm so jealous; I've had the idea of doing something similar...but just never followed through. I hope this place proves me right, that such a place is sorely needed in this day in age... I also hope that the area can stand one more in the near future...one that I may put my personal touch on.

In addition to this mini play land, just two doors down is an adult Eden that mom might sneak off to while dad plays with the nippers at Zanzabelle. The Raven is the name. The Raven is a relatively up-scale Thai Message house that brings the ambiance of Thailand to Silver Lake. The Raven offers an array of massages including deep tissue and Swedish, but focuses on Thai. Although there are plenty of cheaper Thai massage parlors in the area, The Raven definitely steps up the decor and comfort. Basic hour-long massage is $65.

Forgive me for not writing down the addresses but both shops are located on Rowena near the Coffee Table and Patty Faye's. Gromitville is less then a block away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home